#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

On 06/05/2015 06:47 μμ, Louis Proyect wrote:
On 5/6/15 11:17 AM, ioannis aposperites via Marxism wrote:
If Lenin did make a compromise when a proletarian revolution was at
stake, what is at stake today for Tsipras if not the IMF and EU loans?

Actually, the fight against austerity is *the* key struggle today as
Richard Seymour pointed out in his most recent book. It is by pushing
back successfully against "reforms" that throw civil servants out of
work that the working class can begin to feel some confidence that
resistance is possible.

Unfortunately austerity is NOT challenged in greece; I live there and, if not me, certainly my wife would have known it. The capitalists can not concede anything if they are to survive as capitalists in the middle of that mess of the big capitalist crisis. Thus austerity IS a key struggle, but only because it would have de facto been part of a revolutionary process. But bailing out the debt and running after primary surpluses equals to austerity. Today,if you are to challenge austerity you are running towards a direct class confrontation. So, either Syriza is a revolutionary party or austerity remains, indeed, unchallenged.

What is really at stake is the very survival of the present government! They are breathing yet just because of the working class prejudices and illusions that they could really stop austerity (not even reverse it; nobody believes that) without conflicts. If they are driven to impose now new wage and pension cuts, they will fall before summer, and that's why Tsipras is playing all his cards: No intermediate deal but a final one, the Cyprus exhibition of the real or supposed greek geopolitical advantages in Mediterranean , and the declaration of faith in anti-terrorism.

JA