#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

Gary wrote:

> There is so much in this essay. So rich and thoughtful.

I agree and disagree.  Would you have called me thoughtful if I had
discovered and denounced an instance where NPR told its listeners that
2+2=5?  I don't have to be thoughtful to see the obvious.  I wish the
falsity of methodological individualism were as obvious to anyone
attempting to create a better society as the falsity of 2+2=5.

Methodological individualism is a category error which makes it possible
to insert an apology for capitalism and one of its worst manifestations,
the extermination of the Palestinian people, smack in the middle of an
appreciation of something as dialectical and relational as Beethoven's
music.

Of course, the horrors of capitalism are carried out by individuals.
But we cannot fix capitalism by blaming individuals.  We all are
contaminated by capitalism, and we all suffer under capitalism.  We have
to band together to unhinge a social system which is profoundly inhuman.
As long as we blame each other we perpetuate the atomization on which
capitalism thrives.  This is why I consider blaming the victims of
capitalism to be an apology for capitalism.

Hans G Ehrbar