#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

More than any other buzzword, the term heard most throughout the 2016 election cycle was “political correctness.” The American public was obsessed with the idea of words and their connotations — what was, and wasn’t okay to say. Republicans and the burgeoning far-right vehemently opposed the notion that any words were off-limits, and gleefully insulted their opposition with reckless abandon.

Curiously, liberals did not fight back. Instead, a smug sense of detachment came over the movement’s key voices, and a new set of rules for how to delegitimize conservative arguments arose. We could certainly call them racist, homophobic and xenophobic, but attacks on their appearance, for instance, were uncouth. Liberals were above the right’s vulgarity, and they would beat them based on the tenets of decency and our superior morality.

full: http://www.thenorthstar.info/?p=13012