#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

Not sure how I feel about this report as a whole. It starts out fair enough
going after this Charles Bausman person for regurgitating poorly-disguised
Jews-are-bringing-down-Mother-Russia rhetoric, and Doctorow for endorsing
his bad ideas, but from there the article goes off against fairly
mainstream people and persons simply because they have at some point been
in touch with Doctorow, who is apparently the link between ACEWA and the
alt right. So the connection is Alt Right / Nazism -- Russia
Insider/Bausman -- Doctorow -- ACEWA / Stephen F. Cohen, and then from
there the rest of the targets of the piece are all fairly
mainstream/left-leaning, if oft-problematic, news sites and commentators.
There is even a chart linking all of them together using a web traffic
tracker that clusters all of the people reading Russia Insider, and a
number of those sites are frankly, important: CounterPunch, the Nation, the
Intercept, etc. Others are apparently Iranian/Hezbollah-run state-sponsored
channels. The rest are conspiracy theory websites. It reminds me of how
when I would buy books about Palestine online, Amazon would recommend other
books based on what other customers had purchased, and unfortunately many
of these recommendations were Nazi literature. The inevitable result of
niche content that does not have a large audience is that even the
slightest thing can throw off a web algorithm, so it only takes a few
people to screw with something like that.

I think it would make more sense for them to criticize some of the
individual groups and websites that are continuing to host or sponsor Nazi
rhetoric or Putin apologism instead of going all out against the entire
dissident internet ecosystem the way they did. They are painting with quite
a broad brush.

Amith R. Gupta

On Fri, Feb 9, 2018 at 4:33 PM, Louis Proyect via Marxism <