#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

On 2018-03-28 18:40, Louis Proyect via Marxism wrote:

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2018/03/combat-left-anti-semitism-corbynism-must-change-way-it-sees-world

I think the article that started this discussion is rather crumby and won't address it. It focuses on Corbyn who I do not believe is antisemitic nor is antisemitism in the labor party an important actual issue. I have no doubt that the charge of antisemitism is just being used to attack the left wing of that party as it is routinely used against supporters of Palestine thus including (essentially) the entire far left. A party as large and diverse as the British Labor party is bound to have individuals with antisemitic (among other evil) views, and not being a member or even living in Britain I would have to trust them to do their own housecleaning in these regards. If Corbyn made a mistake (it couldn't have been any more than that) then he can and should address his error and move on. And the proposition in the article, which I've heard before from some of the "anti-Deutsch" (pro-zionist leftists, especially in Germany), that antisemitism is "not racism" but something unique, is a despicable way of separating anti-racist struggles from each other and privileging one particular minority which does not (at least in Britain) face significant oppression.

Having said that, however, I don't think we can just ignore the issue. Because there are really two potential problems: 1) Actual antisemitism within the left; and 2) The perception of antisemitism by the left. I don't think that (1) is a widespread problem and I expect every left group to keep it that way. However the perception of antisemitism is clearly hurtful to the left. NOT because it will drive Jews away from the left, since left-wing Jews understand as well as anyone why these spurious charges are so frequently heard from our enemies (and sometimes parroted within the left). But because any form of racism is so opposite our values and the message that we are trying to convey, so that if one form of racism is tolerated or excused then one would conclude that we have no principles and might equally find other racist ideas acceptable. More specifically, if our opposition to Israel is seen as a result of antisemitism (as is frequently charged) or if antisemitic ideas are seen as legitimate (or excusable) in the fight for Palestinian self-determination, then the left may suffer greatly due to that perception alone.

It isn't our fault, but it is our problem. I think that what has changed since, say, 20 years ago, is the rise of the alt-right (and such forces) in conjunction with the red-brown alliance. When leftists engage in conspiracy theories (which they have to in order to justify their awful positions on Syria, for instance!) and these are the same conspiracy theories advanced by the far right, then we ALL become identified with the sort of thinking which includes antisemitism among other ideologies that have nothing to do with the left or our values. A case in point is our insisting -- correctly! -- that "anti-Zionism is not antisemitism." As we've been arguing for a long time, we're against Zionism because it oppresses the Palestinians and we call for solutions that end the oppression of Palestine and these would also be in the interest of Jews living in that region (except for the class enemy among them, of course). Unfortunately the success of our campaigns in that regard gave a brilliant idea to the far right: instead of expressing their hate for Jews, just say that they are "pro-Palestinian"! Of course these white racists have always seen Arabs in the same light as other people of color (and routinely oppose their immigration to Europe), but are smart enough to shut up about that while taking up OUR slogans against Israel for the WRONG REASONS. It isn't our fault that they are doing that, but IT IS OUR PROBLEM.

I'll end there and hope that this point leads to further discussion on solutions to the problem I have identified, which I do see as crucial.

- Jeff