#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

Thanks, Michael, for your critical observations.

While I usually agree with most what you say, I think I differ with you on this issue. Allow me to briefly explain what I mean.

I am fully aware that the politics of Great Powers and regional powers are full of manoeuvring and “deal making”. Britain, France and Nazi-Germany also made various deals in the 1930s (e.g. the Munich Treaty).

Currently, we see negotiations (combined with selected military strikes) between Russia, Israel, Iran (and the U.S. and Jordan in the sidelines) about a compromise on the Southern borders of Syria. It is quite possible that they will find a temporary agreement (which might include handing over the South to Assad which shows, by the way, how awfully stupid the FSA and other rebels have been with their pro-Jordan/US orientation).

In our RCIT statements we have not given a timeline for the next war. But I think we have to look at the fundamental, irreversible lines of class contradictions. Against the background of a global crisis of capitalism, the contradictions both between the Great Powers as well as between the regional powers are accelerating. I think that we can agree on this.

In the Middle East several fundamental and long-term conflicts of interests clash. They are not identical but the overlap partly. The most important of them are:

U.S. vs. Russia

Iran vs. Saudi Arabia

Israel vs. the Palestinian people

Israel vs. Iran/Hezbollah

U.S. vs. Iran

Russia vs. U.S. vs. Iran vs. Turkey vs. Assad in Syria

There are others too but these axes of contradictions have already resulted in various wars. And today, when the global tensions are accelerating (just think about the looming trade war), the danger of explosion of such a war should be less acute? This is not logical.

Add to all these that the decisive issue is not so much if the White House has already agreed on a date for attack on Iran. But, as you surely know yourself, a process has a certain inner logic. If the White House and Tel Aviv think that economic aggression and military bullying is the best way to push Iran into capitulation; and if Teheran thinks it has no reason to capitulate because a) it is a sizeable regional power and b) it has the backing of Russia and China – isn’t it logical that this will sooner or later result in a war?

For the same reason, we do not expect a long-term solution in East Asia. The summit has only produced a temporary compromise.

You suggest that U.S. imperialism just wants to threaten with war but has no interest in launching war. But first, the White House and the Pentagon is certainly not naive – particularly since they have waged several wars in the past decades. Secondly, what will the imperialists do if threats are not sufficient to push Iran into capitulation?! And given the support of Russia and China for Iran, I don’t believe that Teheran will capitulate.

As you are certainly aware, I am saying all this not from a perspective of a pro-Russian/Assadist social-imperialist but from a Marxist viewpoint of anti-imperialism which oppose all Great Powers.

In summary, temporary compromises, manoeuvres, deals are possible and indeed will take place. But in the longer term, war between the powers is inevitable.

--

Revolutionär-Kommunistische Organisation BEFREIUNG
(Österreichische Sektion der RCIT,www.thecommunists.net)

---