#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

I think that there is a certain danger of confusing different level of abstractions.

When we speak about “fundamental contradictions” between two or more camps, one could mean that only the contradictions between the working class and the bourgeoisie as well as between imperialist powers and oppressed people are “fundamental”. On the other hand, different fractions of the bourgeoisie or different Great Powers (as well as regional powers) can find compromises.

This is of course true. But if we move to a more concrete level of analysis, I think it is legitimate to talk about fundamental contradictions between specific Great Powers as well as regional powers. Marx and Engels spoke for example about the contradictions between Germany and Russia which were heading towards a war. Trotsky spoke about such contradictions between several Great Powers in the 1930s. I was talking about such a level of abstraction.

To put it very concretely: we have seen a number of wars in the past 17 years in the Middle East:

2001 until today: Afghanistan

2003 until today: Iraq

2006: Lebanon

2008/09, 2012, 2014: Gaza

2011 until today: Syria

2015 until today: Yemen

2011 until today: Libya

As we have entered a period of accelerated contradictions between the Great Powers as well as regional powers in the Middle East, can any serious person assume that we will see less wars in the coming years?! No, the opposite is the case. We have now much more war-mongering than in the past. Yes, some conflicts can be temporary resolved. But certainly not all.

In chapter V of our book on the current world situation we have dealt with these contradictions more in detail. (https://www.thecommunists.net/theory/world-perspectives-2018/)

Naturally, one can discuss about this or that specific analysis. But the general trend towards more wars in the Middle East seems very obvious to me.

--
Revolutionär-Kommunistische Organisation BEFREIUNG
(Österreichische Sektion der RCIT,www.thecommunists.net)

---