#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

The way the Shah, Muhammed Reza Pahlavi, got into power in the first place is
not all that different than how he returned to power after Mossadegh was
overthrown.

His father, Reza Pahlavi, was Shah at the start of World War II.  Evidently he
sought to keep Iran neutral and the Brits arranged his ouster, spiriting him
away to exile in Egypt and placing his young son on the throne.  I don't know
whether the Soviets participated in that coup but Soviet troops did occupy
parts of Northern Iran during World War II, withdrawing in 1946.  SR