#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

Regarding what Glen Ford does or does not think, I would suggest emailing
him, he is very responsive and I have had very fruitful exchanges with him
in the past few years.

You do, however, have one point that I would answer to directly because
there's ample evidence that is easy to discover on the web from mainstream
forums and media outlets:

You write "Obama's failures"

It depends on how you look at things. In my view, Obama has made plenty of
statements since exiting office that he was a success and made great
achievements on behalf of his donors.

He and Arne Duncan busted the teachers union in Central Falls, RI, near
where I live. They proliferated charter schools out the wazoo. They gave
more infrastructure elements within education away to the tech oligarchy.
That's an accomplishment in the eyes of the donors.

He brought Social Security closer to privatization with his presidential
appointments to the trustees board and nearly pulled it off as part of his
Grand Bargain with Paul Ryan, something his economics guru Larry Summers
had been advocating since the Clinton era <
https://www.counterpunch.org/2004/10/30/how-monica-lewinsky-saved-social-security/

The Affordable Care Act's structural design incentivized employers to only
hire part-time workers in order to duck having to insure their workers,
which in turn diminished union density, something shown by the study by
economists at Harvard and Princeton that demonstrated 95% of job growth
under Obama was in the gig economy <
https://www.investing.com/news/economy-news/nearly-95-of-all-job-growth-during-obama-era-part-time,-contract-work-449057

It's a jaded and cynical look at his legacy, I cede that readily, but it
also seems pretty obvious given how miserable things were when he left
office.

--
Best regards,

Andrew Stewart

Just read the piece -- does the author really think that there is some
"committee" of the ruling class that gave Harris "permission" to savage
Biden in the debate??

Or was that just a writing rhetorical flourish that I'm too much of a
philistine to understand?

Does the writer think that there is no SIGNIFICANT difference between
another four years of Trump or a capitalist Democrat --- for real effects
on real people??

https://blackagendareport.com/sanders-vs-endless-austerity-regime--

It is hard to fight austerity --- but the ruling class is NOT completely
united in support of austerity --- (witness the period between WW II and
1970 when austerity was NOT the rule ....true "prosperity" was bought via
military Keynesianism and hot wars in Korea and Indochina --- but there was
also a big expansion of the US version of Social Democracy --- and an
immigration reform in 1965 and the end of Apartheid, US style --- )

Progress is possible even without a revolution --- and each step in the
right direction creates space for REAL change ....just as the triumps of
Bush II and Trump (and Obama's failures) moved us backwards ....