#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

Wow, what BS. Racism is obviously a matter of fact. But to imply that the main
driving force here is Fleck being spoilt by white privilege makes no sense.
Throughout most of the film he does his shitty, precarious, low pay job and
asks and expects basically nothing at all. On the contrary, he tries to make
his mum realize the Waynes of this world don’t give a damn about them, white or
black. Only when he has reason to believe he actually IS Wayne’s biological son
he comes to think for a moment that this will make a real difference (a rather
human reaction, I’d say). This arch-conservative review, posing as anti-racist,
is just a version of the line that the kind of decent working conditions and
welfare that the labour movement created are themselves at their very core
about white privilege and have spoilt white workers who need to get over them
and accept capitalism (”nature”, ”life”) as it is. It is intended to silence
and split workers.

Re ”Joker”, I went to see it expecting to hate it, as I hate the Nolan films
(thinly disguised fascism, here’s my review: http://filmint.nu/?p=5351). It is
far from perfect and, yes, it could have treated its black characters
differently. But nevertheless this actually is the complex, intelligent film
that many claim the wildly overrated Nolan films to be. Class and exploitation
are at the heart of it, not white privilege.