#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

> On Oct 26, 2019, at 11:41 AM, Me <m...@magnoliabloomberg.com> wrote:
>
> Biology is such a terf hey?
>
> https://twitter.com/lecanardnoir/status/1129742277134508033
> <https://twitter.com/lecanardnoir/status/1129742277134508033>

Ah yes: A random Twitter thread as authoritative source. Why didn’t I think of
that? Actually, he sounds a lot like those “edgy anti-imperialists” explaining
how criticizing US involvement in “regime change” in Syria doesn’t make them
supporters of Assad. The fact that their premise is self-servingly wrong is
irrelevant to them.

Meanwhile, this seems better (as does the piece Daniel Lindvall posted):

“Some sexual scientists have tried to chart the many different expressions of
sex/gender identity, putting together formal models of what we know about
variations in sexual identity (man, woman, something else), gendered identity
(masculine, feminine, androgynous, something else; note: the term “gender
identity” is often conflated with sexual identity, here I use gendered identity
to refer to the degree a person is typically masculine and/or feminine for
their society), sexual orientation (androphilic [finding male bodies erotic],
gynephilic [finding female bodies erotic], bisexual, asexual, something else),
mating orientation (monogamous, polyamorous, open, something else), and other
important forms of sexual diversity.

“Leading sexual scientist Sari van Anders (2015) recently made an excellent
attempt at integrating several of these sex/gender diversities here. She
distinguishes between sex (including male and female as dimensions), gender/sex
(man and woman as dimensions), and gender (masculine and feminine as
dimensions), emphasizing variation in the intensity of each sexual
configuration. The esteemed Anne Fausto-Sterling (2012) has argued for using
dynamical systems theory to understand varying influences on sex/gender
diversity (see also Fausto-Sterling et al., 2012). She emphasizes the John
Money's classic 5-sexes approach of Genetic Chromosomal Sex (XX, XY, 45X,
47XXY, XYY, etc.), Fetal Gonadal Sex (ovaries versus testicles and sex as
subsequent gamete production), Fetal Hormonal Sex (in utero exposure to
testosterone and subsequent organizational effects), Internal Reproductive Sex
(uterus/cervix/fallopian tubes vs. vas deferens/prostate/epididymis), and
External Genital Sex (vagina/clitoris vs. scrotum/penis). Sexological legend
Milton Diamond also has a compelling model of sex/gender diversity he calls
Biased-Interaction Theory (see Diamond, 2006). Sexual scientists have learned a
lot about sex/gender identities, but really we’ve just begun to understand the
causes underlying the myriad ways humans express their sexual selves. There is
much work to be done.”

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/sexual-personalities/201605/sex-and-gender-are-dials-not-switches