#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

On 2/5/20 3:57 PM, A.R. G wrote:
I assume organizers of such an initiative would need to start by raising a significant amount of money simply to open offices, recruit canvassers, do election research, etc. And after that they would need to be able to compete within the corporate media landscape. It is an enormous undertaking and many smaller parties have already failed at it. How does one build such a party?

The folks advocating this are old school Leninists. They are trying to launch a new party based on the success of their Argentine comrades, even though I think that objective circumstances and a flawed methodology militate against it.

For me, the only slender thread of a new left party emerging in this period is if by some miracle Howie Hawkins's campaign begins to exploit the certain disappointment of the Democratic Party in 2020 that has been foreshadowed by the Iowa debacle.

Opportunities to build a new party to the left of the Democrats are far and few between. Favorable conditions existed in the 1960s when a Democratic president was carrying out one of the most brutal colonial wars of the 20th century. Formations like the Peace and Freedom Party had great promise but sectarian groups derailed them.

Who knows? Perhaps if the failure of the Sandernista movement exceeds even my own expectations, the 60,000 plus DSA membership might provide the impetus for something new. There's maybe a chance of 1 in 100 but that's better than none.