#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

I’m sorry, I must be expressing myself very clumsily, English after all is not
my first language. My question was purely about campaign strategy, I get the
rest of it. But it’s not like a candidate is going to get around the screams of
”inflation, inflation, inflation”, so how could s/he get around discussing
higher taxes as part of what is needed to curb it eventually? I can’t see that
question going away until x years later when people see the great new
infrastructure. Just as ruling class resistance via financial warfare won’t go
away just because many of them understand that their purported theory defending
this warfare (”budget balance” etc) is a crappy excuse.

I hope to be proven wrong and I support any serious attempt at pushing through
real reforms, but I can’t see it happen without a mass movement threatening the
hell out of the ruling class. The limited (in time and space) successes of
social democracy after all came about through an almost perfect storm: a
vibrant labour movement, a successful revolution in a major country that
threatened to spread, two world wars and a depression within the space of 30
years destroying massive amounts of capital, the war economy and the collective
effort needed to win the war, and on top of that took place in countries that
benefited from centuries of globally highly uneven industrialization ultimately
fed by the spoils of colonialism.