Tuluá, Colombia April 01, 2000

 AN OPEN LETTER TO ALL WRITERS OF THE WORLD

    I am Gustavo Alvarez Gardeazabal, a Colombian writer,
 imprisoned since May of 1999. I have been victimized by the
 all-too-selective justice that reigns in Colombia.

    In order to solve personal economic constrains, in 1992 I
 sold a sculpture (my personal property) to an individual not knowing he was
 a drug trafficker.  Now I am accused of having committed a crime. However,
 selling the sculpture is not the true crime that I am accused of, because,
 in that year, it was not a crime under the laws of this country. The real
 crime I am accused of is that I used my image as a writer to be elected as
 Mayor of my birth city, Tuluá, and later elected as Governor of the
 Department of El Valle, while being publicly recognized as a homosexual and
 for showing that you can govern honestly without robbing the people.

    Also, my crime is to win the Governor election with 700
 thousand votes and funding my campaign selling my books on the
 street-corners of cities, in  parks, outside stadiums, movie theaters and
 supermarkets.

    My crime was to have frightened the Colombian economic and political
 oligarchy who felt that with 700 thousand votes and my charisma I could
 become the next president.

    The alleged sculptor of the small statue that I sold has been used against
 me as a protected and paid witness in my case, (he is now in prison accused
 of falsification), and I have been suspended of my duties as Governor and I
 have been imprisoned for 330 days to date. I have still not been judged and
 my case is awaiting review in the Colombian Supreme Court of Justice.
 Meanwhile, I can rot in this prison waiting for justice.

    If you could help me by writing to Dr. Jorge Enrique Córdoba
 Poveda asking for fair treatment in my case, I am sure that I could soon
 have my freedom and that I could write again and defend this country of
 mine that has been so hurt.

 God protect you.

 GUSTAVO ALVAREZ GARDEAZABAL
 Apartado postal 400 Tuluá, Valle, Colombia.
 E-mail: (in my family's office)
 [EMAIL PROTECTED]

 The Magistrate's office address:
 Dr. JORGE ENRIQUE CORDOBA POVEDA
 Magistrate of the Supreme Court of Justice
 Calle 12 # 7-65 Centro Nuevo Palacio de Justicia
 Fax: 57-1-5626301 or 5627299
 BOGOTA - COLOMBIA
 e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

 Check for more information in the following web site:
 www.teletulua.com.co/gardeazabal

     --- from list [EMAIL PROTECTED] ---