As it was written:

>> Waistline,

Personally, I find it difficult trying to understand on what principle or
set of principles you are basing most of your arguments, commentaries and
political work on, with regard to opposing U.S. imperialism and reaction. As a
result, I find most of your comments about the present situation to be rather
confusing, because I have a hard time trying to understand where your starting
point is.

I haven't been around as long as some of the comrades here on the list, and
perhaps that is where I am most naive in experience. However I feel that
communists should be principled in thought and action in their political work
and
to defend the principles that have been won and to defend them whenever they
are being attacked. If this be a Marxist-Leninist "axiom" then so be it. Yes
the  world changes, and we are in a different situation than several periods
before,  however, principles that were fought over and won during those periods
are  stronger now than ever, precisely because they are being attacked by the
 imperialism and forces of reaction. <<

Josh

Comment

Comrade, in my estimate there is no such thing as some grand Marxist
principle(s) to Presidential elections and primaries in America. This thread is
 not
posed as a general resistance to imperialism and reaction. The issue in real
time was who to vote for in the Presidential primary and loud, active
opposition  to the fascist heading the Republican party.

Bush W. is a fascist and so is Senator McCain and a huge section of the
American people intuitively understand this. Senator Obama is not a fascist nor

does he advocate American fascism ideological underpinning.

My starting point - base line, or context in examining the Obama candidacy
over the past six months; the so-called war on terrorism, the struggle of the
autoworkers and stirring of various layers of the working class and everything
 else in America has been the domination of the speculator over the world
total  capital and the new non-banking financial architecture as the concrete
material  expression of our society undergoing a revolution in the productive
forces. This  change wave, which is increasing in tempo, is forcing a
realignment
of social  and ideological groupings in our society.

On the one hand this thread is about "OBAMA - An Analysis"  or what I  have
framed as “the Obama candidacy,” rather than the general category of
imperialism. “The Obama candidacy” has been written about so as not to get
caught up
on one man and forget our mission of bringing to the fore the class  mission
of communist revolutionaries.

To understand  the Obama candidacy one has to take into account the  history
of the Democratic Party and the Republican Party and how the political  and
ideological struggles between them have shaped policy in American history.
This
requires pouring through much of our history rather than discussions of
general Marxist propositions, although it is not being suggested one abandons
their Marxist orientation and outlook.

George W. Bush Jr. and his administration are fascists.

The ideological component of their fascism and the social basis of this  very
real fascism is rooted in historic Southern reaction - the historic control
of the South, or since the Goldwater candidacy for president, the defection of
 the Southern Dixiecrats to the Republican Party. The principle or starting
point  for communists in any country on earth is to begin with the concrete
peculiarity  of ones own history, culture and ideological composition.  In
America this  means understanding politics from the standpoint of “the South
controls the  country and Wall Street controls the South.”

The escalated fascist onslaught we have faced the past two terms of Bush W.
is nothing more than the historic combination of Southern reactionaries and
their Northern reactionary collaborators that were momentarily defeated during
the period of the Civil Rights Movement. We are fighting real people in real
time with a real history.

Today in real time the Republican Party stands as the official party of the
wealthiest white people in America and stating this is no attempt to play the
so-called “race card.” This is of course the reason a huge section of the
whitest and angry proletarians drove the Obama campaign to victory. These real
masses are beginning to perceive that their economic and material well being
lies outside the Republican Party or for that matter the Democratic Party
expressed in the Clinton's. This perception is sharply different than during
the
 election of Ronald Reagan, George Bush Sr., and George W.

What is driving the Obama candidacy and Senator Clinton’s campaign as a
unity is a fuzzy understanding that our country is experiencing some kind  of
economic collapse and it is in fact undergoing economic collapse. Economic
collapse does not mean everyone stops working or no production takes place.
What
collapses is the old way of economic relations as society is dislocated and
begins its shift - leap, or transition to new production relations based on the

new technological infrastructure. Here is the context for the fight over the
property relations and where communists can clearly speak of class and
property  in plain language.

By definition this transition in the productive forces means a radical
lowering of the value of labor, because revolution in production increased the
productiveness of labor, and this must be expressed in lower wages. We have
been
experiencing a 35 year free fall in the price of labor ability. Two weeks ago
I  reported to this list the mind boggling 50% reduction in the wages of the
American axle workers in Detroit.

This fuzzy understanding of economic collapse combines with a growing
backlash against the police authority in our country and three decades of
prison
building. The modern penal system that exists today is the result of having
convinced a huge section of America that the black people were a threat to
their
economic well being and needed to be put in prison. Now that we imprison more
 people than anyone else on earth it becomes clear that jails is no solution.
Now  that the police are running amok amongst the entire population it
becomes  clearer that "law and order" is not a solution to economic problems.
Then
there  is the growing anti-war sentiment and growing outrage against the
fascist  clampdown on civil liberty. From different directions and points of
view a
huge  section of America is talking about some kind of Revolution in real
time.

People - real masses and their various leaders or people them listen to,  are
beginning to talk about revolution as correction to economic problems.

Yes it is time to rally to the flag pole, but the flag pole has not yet  been
sunk into the ground with clear symbols. .

There is an ideological shift underway in our country and for reasons I do
not fully understand, the communists do not talk about it.  Well . . . I  kind
of understand why much of the so-called "Marxist Leninists movement" do not
openly talk about economic communism. The principle(s) we communists defend is
that the proletarian masses have an inherent yearning and right to be free of
 capitalist exploitation, rather than a general and often vague  “
Marxist-Leninist” formulation.

We need to really look at matters in concrete terms in the context of the
primary phase of this Presidential election year.

The ideological basis of the Republican Party is hate, fuck-you poor people
and the basis of this hate in our country is outright white chauvinism or
racism.  The Obama candidacy opposes and is opposing this historic hate. It
must
oppose this historic hate because it cannot secure political victory over
its sectarian opponents in the Democratic Party or Southern reactions militant
and "old Christian vision" of the new world order. The Obama campaign is
therefore compelled to bring new masses into the political arena in the exact
manner Marx describes this process in the Communist Manifesto.

Is this a good thing?

Of course it is because we communist do not have the ability to bring and
group such masses around our polarity. In fact we have to build up our
polarity.
 Some Marxist Leninists believe the best way to build up our polarity is by
forming a party that is an army and mysteriously slugging it out with the
imperialist. I believe that taking communist propaganda of economic communism
the mass movement today - right now, is the path forward and then on this
basis  working to construct a party of the class. Is it not obvious that those
of
us on  this list cannot combine together on the basis of ideology? There can
only be  real unity of action centered in doing real things together with one
general  voice and focus.

Does election year 2008 make a difference?  Did election year 2000  make a
difference? Did 2004 make a difference? The answer to all three question  is “
yes.”

The Obama candidacy is being driven on the ground by a mass of white voters
and this is extremely important. Senator Obama is not the candidate of the
blacks, who in the main were the last grouping in America to support his
candidacy. That communists will not even consider this dynamic and talk to this

initial mass of voters about economic communism and the right of the
proletarian
masses to socially necessary means of life - even if they have no money, is
mind  boggling to me.

Communism.

There I said it again and virtually no one on this list talks or has talked
about economic communism as a solution over the past five years. In fact 90%
of  all responses to advocating economic communism in America has been opposed
by  the majority of responders to this call on this list. At first I  thought
the opposition was to me personally and the manner in which I argue,  which at
times was offensive in retrospect. Then all the theoretical rationales  were
presented against advocating for economic communism.

Communism -  distribution of socially necessary means of life, which  the
victims of the governments response to Katrina needs right now, even if  these
people have no money, is the solution to our problems.  Economic  communism in
the field of health care is the only solution to the health care  crisis. This
does not means lowering the standard of those who already have  health care
but raising the bottom of the social ladder up to the level of  providing
socially necessary means of life.

My sense of things is that a real spontaneous movement of the masses is
underway and this movement is driven not by anti-war sentiment, which is of
course important, but economic impulses. Economic impulses means “how am I
going
to pay for gas, health care, food and the rent and send the kids to school.“
This moment of history is so important.

Comrade, as long as poverty, crime and destitution in our country could be
presented as a black issue nothing was going to be done about it. Today, the
fascists grouped about the Bush administration stand as criminals and the new
slave masters in the minds of a huge section of the peoples of America. Simply
 because most of my life was dominated by a relationship that is giving way
to a  new relationship does not mean I have to be stuck in the past. I refuse
to close  my eyes to the 35 million people that took time to be involved in the
Democratic  Primary and view this mass as fresh forces getting their
political feet wet for  the first time. We communists will teach them how to
swim in
the deep end of the  water and defeat the sharks.

The Obama candidacy blind sided me and Senator Clinton and basically all  the
rest of us. Sure, I read his books early in the game and aid to myself,
"yea, yea, yea, more social democratic crap." Then 35 million people showed up
and took part in Senator Obama and Senator Clinton’s campaign. I said to
myself
what the fuck it going on and being dumb founded did what all good
communists do; I placed my good ear on the ground and closed my eyes to help
concentrate. The 35 million were saying “we are scared and our economic
situation is
deteriorating. We need help with a change in government  policy.”  Then I
opened my eyes and stood up and looked at the  people and it was a sea of white
and
I beamed a broad smile and said to myself  "I like this."

Feeling like the guy that showed up at the airport to catch a plane at the
wrong time and on the wrong day, I asked people what was going on and was told,
 " man, where have you been for the past eight years. Brother your plane left
 yesterday at noon, not 10:00 at night. The next ten flights are already
booked."

The worse thing to ever happen to a communist is to be caught flatfooted  and
take it on the chin. When the freshly minted masses - getting their feet wet
for the first time, delivers the blow to the chin, it is quite humiliating.
With  the confidence of a man ready to die, I beamed that broad battle hardened
smile  at the masses and asked if I could ride on the next plane out.
Everyone laughed  and said, "brother I am glad you showed up, but you have to
wait
your  turn. What are all them books you got with that old man on the  cover
with
a beard?"

The broad smile broke into laughter and I said something like, "I am
preparing for the Third American Revolution and hate like hell I showed up
late."

This older white gentlemen with his wife and three grand daughters, - (who
are now playing with my suit case and asking about my books), said "son the
revolution already began. Where you from . . . Detroit or something?"

Sitting in the airport alone, in a crowd of flowing millions, I went on  line
and reread all the masters beginning with the Communist Manifesto, all of
Lenin, Mao's volumes and saving Stalin for desert. I glanced at Ho and General
Gaip and moved through Che quickly and paused on Amilcar Cabral's "Liberation
of  Guiana" and the most famous passage about the people not fighting for the
ideas in a persons head but to see their material life go forward. I cursed
my  flesh smarting from that blow to the chin by the masses.

Secretly, I knew Senator Clinton took a blow to the head. I knew in my  heart
her arrogance born of pure working class fabric and "bootstrap raise  oneself
up America," had taken a serious blow from this skinny  brown man that had
the nerve to not be a real live American nigga, but  something more American.
Something in me went sideways as my old circuit  breakers snapped and I could
not figure out what I was  experiencing.

"He ain't a nigga"  . . . I thought privately to myself, but I was to
ashamed to say this to anyone. The masses - 35 million, were boarding the plane
 of
political activism and to me, every single one of them had that fucked  up
look on their faces that said, "we know he ain;t a nigga."

No one in advance wrote of the Obama campaign and how it would crystallized
a new social and ideological alignment in America.

Stalin haunted me stating in no uncertain terms that the hallmark of a
communist is their ability to independently find their own bearing.

I fucking hate it when the masses catch me flatfooted and I have to catch  up
with them to be the leader.

There was nothing left for me to do but place myself on the self criticism
machine where one kicked themselves in the ass about a thousand times and get
with the new program. With a sore china and swollen ass (and bad feet)
principles of communism demanded that the truth as I understood it be wrote and

talked about.

I suggested and advocated - without blinking, that those involved in the
Democratic Party primary should vote for Obama because his candidacy was the
cutting edge against hate and advocacy for change in government policy. Then
some comrades felt I was delivering the proletariat into the hands of the
imperialists. No . . . the fight was to take them out of the hands of the
imperialists, as they deserted the fascist haters by clearly presenting to them
 an
outline of their class demands and issues and talking about economic
communism.

I can only hope that it is understood that I advocate economic communism  and
tell people such. I cannot understand for the life of me why American
communists will not advocate that everyone in this country has a right to
housing,
medical care, drinking water, basic energy needs, public education and  higher
education and the bourgeoisie can go to hell. This is the only bottom  line
communist principle I am aware of. I supported Senator Obama in the context  of
the Democratic Party primary, although I am not registered as a Democratic
Party member. Registering as a Democrat never occurred to me. I do not advocate
 such in real time because my head is still clearing from taking it on the
chin  and showing up late and trying to prepare for the next phase of this
presidential election cycle.

Let me be honest or as honest as I can be at this moment on the keyboard.

I am not registered as a Democratic Party member in Florida because I had  no
idea that the Obama candidacy would take off like it did. Florida - the
state, has not been a nice place to live in American history for a Yankee, or
as
it is in my case, a tanned Yankee, but it is changing because the state is
driven by tourism or big money Northerners on pensions and trust funds. One
must
 know at this late date that the fascist Bush secured his Presidency on the
basis  of the political turmoil in Florida and the Supreme Court appointment to
office.

If I had enough foresight to see the tremendous out pouring for his  campaign
I would have surely registered as a Democrat to take greater part in  this
huge flow of masses. Communists do things like that because we go where the
people are in motion and then we pushed for the spontaneous movement to achieve

its goal. The goal of the people pushing the Obama candidacy is not one man
but  economic security and defeat of the fascist in government that would strip
us  all of political liberty.

Some may feel that supporting the Green Party was more appropriate but it
seems to me such thinking forgets the Green Party’s presidential primary
process
 between Nader and McKliney.

I do not know how events are going to unfold over the next five months. I  do
clearly understand that this phase of the primaries are over and a regrouping
 is taking place.

Waistline

Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.