More to the point about the nature of  capitalism: not only private
property, but the separation of the worker from  implements of production,
control
of labor process, and ultimately from  knowledge and skills. Role of
technological deployment in reducing worker to  appendage of machines, etc.

I'll have to see what else has been written  on negation of negation that
is usable. Engels' use of concept in dialectics of  nature is total confusion
and nonsense.

I believe that Stalin omitted  negation of negation and others approved of
this.

###############

On 3/23/10, waistli...@aol.com  <waistli...@aol.com> wrote:
> Negation of Negation:
>
>  Marx presents
> the  equation as thus:
>
> "The  capitalist mode of appropriation, the result of the capitalist mode
 of
>  production, produces capitalist private property. This is the  first
> negation of  individual private property, as founded on the  labor of the
> proprietor. But  capitalist production begets, with  the inexorability of
a law of
> Nature, its own  negation. It is the  negation of negation.

^^^^^
CB: Excellent example.  I presented  this in argument with Rosa L, when
she claimed that Marx didn't use any  dialectics.

^^^^^^^

This does not
> re-establish  private  property for the producer, but gives him
individual  property
> based on the  acquisition of the capitalist era: i.e., on  co-operation
and
> the possession in  common of the land and of the  means of production.
>
> The transformation of scattered private  property,  arising from
individual
> labor, into capitalist private  property is,  naturally, a process,
> incomparably more protracted,  violent, and difficult, than  the
transformation of
> capitalistic  private property, already practically resting  on socialized
>  production, into socialized property. In the former case, we had   the
> expropriation of the mass of the people by a few usurpers; in the
latter, we  have the
> expropriation of a few usurpers by the mass of  the people. [2]
>
>  _http://www.marxists.org/archive/marx/works/1867-c1/ch32.htm_
>  (http://www.marxists.org/archive/marx/works/1867-c1/ch32.htm)
>
> In  Marx description above, private property does not negate or   abolish
> private property.

^^^^^
CB: He says "capitalist  production... begets its own negation.

^^^^^^^

Rather, the  form of private property is negated  in
> correspondence with  qualitative changes in the means of production.

^^^^^
CB: What is the  qualitative change in means of production that Marx
mentions in the quote  ?

^^^^^

Negation  of the
> negation signifies the  preservation of the specific quality of the
> contradiction pinpointed as  the point of departure -  the starting point
of  a
>  motion.

CB: Elaborate this thought.

^^^^^

> One can  make anything the negation and negation of the negation of
another
>  thing. For instance, one mode of production negation  the  previously
> existing mode of production. The new displacing  mode of production
contains
> within itself its unique quality  begetting its own negation. Likewise,
one
> quantitative stage  negates the stage from which it arises in an endless
series
> of  negations.
>
> Since life is specific, it is best to be specific and  define the process
in
>  question and how one quality leaps to  another qualitative reformation.
>
> In the wide sense of the motion  - direction of society, primitive
communism
>  is our starting point.  Private property negates the primitive public
> property  relations.  Private property passing through all its stages
quantitative
>  stages  of development and qualitative stages of modes of  production,
> founded on private  property.
>
> Economic  communism, founded on qualitatively new means of production, is
>  called  "primitive communism" at a higher level or the negation of  the
> negation or a description of the motion of a gigantic historical  process,
> resulting in the reestablishment of public  property.

^^^^
CB: This is a big thought in Marx and Engels idea. It  doesn't get
mentioned much.

^^^^^^^

Negation of the   negation is
> not a universal law of dialectics but rather an expression  of the
> dialectic of change. (see  Dialectics, quantity, quality,  the
antagonistic  element.)

^^^^^^^
CB: What dialectic is not a  "dialectic of change"   ?