Mike, Rob,

One of the changes I made was to cause the afmdict to be generated
automatically at the start rather than on demand.  The problem you are
having seems related to afm fonts, so I suspect this is it.

What is your rcParams['pdf.use14corefonts'] setting?  Please try
reversing it, and see if that changes the result.  This is looking for a
clue, not a solution.

(I knew I should have left the font stuff alone...)

Thanks.

Eric