>> I don't quite like my solution but it seems to work.
>> It passes over the figure instance when initializing the
>> MixedRenderer, and let the renderer change the dpi of the figure when
>> changing the backend.
>> I hope some other developer who better understands the dpi thing take
>> a look and come up with a better solution.
>
> I'll try to take a look at this later this afternoon. I agree that
> someone with more knowledge should take a look. The SVG backend seems
> to just ignore the dpi setting and forces 72 dpi across the board,
> which is why I was able to use it as a workaround.

I applied your patch, and it does allow the PDF backend to produced
mixed modes at various DPI.

The SVG backend complains about the change in call signature to
MixedModeRenderer.__init__(). SVG is the only other backend to use
MixedModeRenderer, so that would be an easy fix.

It seems surprising that dpi=72 is part of the renderer assumptions
somewhere along the way.

>From a design perspective, is it appropriate for the renderer to store
a reference to a figure? Many (all?) of the renderers seem entirely
decoupled from the figure.

-Eric

-Eric