On 01/16/2013 12:22 PM, Paulo César Pereira de Andrade wrote:
2013/1/16 Michael Droettboom <md...@stsci.edu>:

-USE_FONTCONFIG = False
+USE_FONTCONFIG = True
[...]
I think this is safe to be made a patch for Linux distros. I believe this could
be the default for *Linux and *BSD in matplotlib.

This will silence things, and I agree it probably should be the default
on Linux, but I'm not sure if it's correct.  If F18 really does have
   So far I managed to "apparently" solve my issues with my work in
progress sagemath package for fedora.

STIX 1.1, then it's not going to work since the layout of the fonts has
changed so much.  That's going to require a great deal of effort.  Can
   Yes, it has STIX 1.1.

you successfully run the test suite with this change?  That should catch
   Sorry that I am not much experienced with matplotlib, but I am willing to
help in whatever I can, given that now I can modify/update the matplotlib
package in Fedora. After running it for the first time, and not looking
much at the sources, it appears to have way too many test failures...

$ nosetests-2.7 -v matplotlib.tests 2>&1 | tee ~/matplotlib-2.7.txt
http://pcpa.fedorapeople.org/matplotlib-2.7.txt

$ nosetests-3.3 -v matplotlib.tests 2>&1 | tee ~/matplotlib-3.3.txt
http://pcpa.fedorapeople.org/matplotlib-3.3.txt

any glyph mismatch problems.  Is there a way to have the package depend
on 1.0 version of the fonts until matplotlib has a chance to update its
tables?
   I am afraid this may not be an option (using stix fonts 1.0).

There was a very silly bug lurking in USE_FONTCONFIG=True mode, and I've made a PR with a fix here:

https://github.com/matplotlib/matplotlib/pull/1666

However, I thought I'd investigate the issue with the STIX fonts -- I actually just upgraded to F18 yesterday, so I thought I'd try what you suggest and get matplotlib to use them.

Thanks for taking on packaging for matplotlib, and thanks for understanding the importance of running the test suite.

It seems that the stix fonts packages in Fedora only come in .otf format -- I believe this is how they are shipped upstream as well. Unfortunately, matplotlib has no support for reading .otf files, so these are simply unusable to matplotlib.

There are some options:

1) Include the STIX ttf fonts included with matplotlib in the matplotlib package and install them in `matplotlib/mpl-data/fonts/ttf` (as a vanilla install would do) so as not to conflict with the stix-fonts package. Maybe these go in a python-matplotlib-stix-fonts package.

2) Include a version of the STIX fonts converted to ttf. This will still have the problem that the glyph tables in matplotlib need to be updated to use them.

3) Update matplotlib's freetype wrapper to support .otf fonts. Doable, but considerable work.

4) Leave it as is but warn that STIX font support is broken with the Fedora matplotlib package.

Mike