Hi Amit,

I am with you 100% of the way.  We should use an existing open source
Delaunay triangulator, and my preference is for QHull as well.

"Improved Delaunay triangulator" is on my matplotlib todo list, albeit it
quite a long way from the top.  I don't tend to use the existing code as I
usually specify my own triangulations, so I have never seen anything quite
as embarrassing as issue #1809.  Perhaps I need to bump it up my priority
list.

If I come up with a possible solution as a PR, would you be prepared to
help test it?  You seem to have quite a few examples that don't work under
the existing code and would be very useful for demonstrating if the
improved code is indeed an improvement.

Ian