This appears to be created by setuptools. I create the tarball using `python setup.py sdist`, which is obviously doing this. I'll look into why it's doing this.

Due to this, some of the things that Russell reported, and

https://github.com/matplotlib/matplotlib/pull/2139

there's going to need to be another rc in short order, so stay tuned.

Mike