Eric Firing wrote:

> Regarding the clip line, I think that your test for mask is None is not
> the right solution because it knocks out the clipping operation, but the
> clipping is intended regardless of the state of the mask.  I had
> expected it to be a very fast operation,

for what it's worth, a few years ago a wrote a "fast_clip" c extension
that did clip without making nearly as many temporary arrays as the
Numeric one -- I don't know what numpy does , I haven't needed a fast
clip recently. I'd be glad to send the code to anyone interested.

> Now I recall very recent discussion explaining why "where" is slow
> compared to indexing with a boolean, so I know I can speed it up with
> numpy.  Unfortunately Numeric does not support this, so maybe what will
> be needed is numerix functions that take advantage of numpy when
> available.

good idea.

> This is one of those times when I really wish we could drop
> Numeric and numarray support *now* and start taking full advantage of numpy.

I'd love that too. Maybe your proposal is a good one, though -- make
numeric functions that are optimized for numpy. I think that's a good
way to transition.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

[EMAIL PROTECTED]