Stephen Uhlhorn wrote:
> I'm trying to build matplotlib with the GTK/GTKAgg backends but it
> won't find my copy of pygtk:
>
> mrhanky:/usr/local/src/matplotlib-0.87.7 uley$ sudo python setup.py build
> GTK requires pygtk
> GTKAgg requires pygtk
> running build
> running build_py
> creating build

I'm pretty sure that MPL looks for it by trying to import it. does:

import pygtk

work with the version of Python you're using?

> I followed the python/numpy/scipy installation method here:
> http://projects.scipy.org/pipermail/numpy-discussion/2007-January/025368.html

Those instructions are for the Universal Framework Python, that you can
get from python.org and pythonmac.org/packages. That version does not
play so well with Darwinports.

> I installed pygtk (2.10.3) with mac/darwinports on my mac os 10.4
> ppcmachine.

Are you using a darwinports python? that version of pygtk will probably
only work with a darwinports python, and in that case, there may even be
a darwinports matplotlib.

In general, you need to use all darwinports python stuff or no
darwinports python stuff.

In theory, one could use PyGTK with he Framework build of python, using
Apple's X11, but I've never seen a package for that.

Why do you want to use pygtk on a Mac? why not TK or wx, or even try the
cocoa back-end, though I have no idea what state that is in.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax