Mark Bakker wrote:
> John -
>
> Maybe I misunderstand you, but I thought the pylab interface
> was invented to do very useful stuff (yet you want to prevent it
> from doing something useful ??).
No, the point is to minimize differences between pylab functions and
object methods, to make it as easy as possible for a person to do
something interactive in pylab and then translate it into a more
OO-style script.  The present "axis" function is an example--it is a
wrapper around Axes.axis().  Evolution from a Matlab legacy has made
"axis" rather clunky, so the idea of an "aspect" method and function is
reasonable.

> All the functionality is already in the API, but the calling sequence
> is too lengthy and somewhat convoluted for interactive use.
> The pylab interface is great for interactive use in my opinion.
> The proposed aspect command falls right into that framework.
> Eric suggested it a week or so ago, as he thought (and I agreed)
> that the axis command in pylab was doing too many things already.

Your implementation of aspect() does only a little more than
Axes.set_aspect(), which is itself something of an anomaly among the
"set_* commands (my fault).  A little reorganizing may be in order; I'll
look at that also.

Sorry to be sluggish on this.

> Mark
>

> On 2/27/07, *John Hunter* <[EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>>
> wrote:
>
>     On 2/27/07, Mark Bakker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>     <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> wrote:
>      > Thanks for the explanation, John.
>      > I printed out the CODING_GUIDE (sorry, didn't know it existed).

It is very new.

>      > The new function with the extra copy command is shown below.
>      > Can we add this to pylab?
>
>     Since Eric has been developing and maintaining the aspect stuff of
>     late, I'll leave it to him to review and contribute.  My one comment
>     is I want to make pylab as thin a wrapper as possible and where
>     possible prevent it from doing anything useful.  That is, I'd like to
>     see all the functionality in the API, and the pylab calls simply make
>     the appropriate forwarding calls.  Is there a reason all of this
>     cannot be done in the relevant Axes methods, with the pylab call
>     simply forwarding on the *args and **kwargs?

This is what I had in mind.