Well, the link is still not back, so I will probe you a bit further.  You
say that axes_grid is provided for backward compatibility, does that mean
that I should be using axes_grid1 for new code?  I have noticed differences
in behavior if I import axes_grid versus axes_grid1.  For example, my
colorbar labels wouldn't appear unless I used axes_grid1.

Ben Root