I'm generating a plot of NxN squares, where the size of the square
corresponds to the correlation between the (i,j) point.  Every (i,i)
point equals 1.0.  I'm using "scatter" to do this, but the sizing
appears to be in "points" from the graphic, rather than "units" of the
two axes.  Is there some way to account for this, or is there some
better way to generate this image?

# result = n x n matrix of correlations between points (i,j)
a = arange(n).repeat(n).reshape(n,n)
b = a.transpose()
scatter(a.flatten(), b.flatten(), s=result, marker='s')

You can see an example here, where N=300: (note, this is a 2.5  MB image):

http://abitibi.sbgrid.org/se/data/shared/biodb/scop-class/a/39/1/5/.meta/tmscore2.png

Thanks,

Ian

--