I don't know if this is the same issue that I had once, but I will just
throw it out there.  Once I compiled matplotlib myself before
double-checking that I had all the needed development files and so the build
process didn't produce all the files for tkagg and used GTKAgg instead.  I
had to get all the needed development packages and completely clean out my
build directory and rebuild matplotlib before it would work properly.

Ben Root