I just tried compiling with the following command:
sudo make -f make.osx fetch deps mpl_build mpl_install

At first it was failing almost immediately, but then I changed make.osx so
that it was fetching zlib-1.2.5 and it got further but still failed. The log
is at the link below:

http://pastebin.org/363644