It didn't work. But I may have misunderstood your instructions.
Here's the output from compiling matplotlib:
http://pastebin.org/363870

Here's what I did.
Set export CC=gcc-4.2
Set export MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.5

Downloaded and compiled libpng-1.4.3
Downloaded and compiled libfreetype-2.3.12
Downloaded matplotlib-0.99.3
Modified src/_png.cpp in matplotlib
Replaced setupext.py with your version.
sudo python setup.py build