On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 9:13 PM, Jeff Berry <jjbe...@email.arizona.edu>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm using the new mixed axes feature in matplotlib 1.0.0 to combine 3D and
> 2D plots in a single figure. The problem is that the 3D axes have a lot of
> extra white space around them that prevents the plot to line up flush with
> the 2D plot. Here is an example image of this:
>
> using matplotlib:
> http://www.u.arizona.edu/~jjberry/matplotlib.png<http://www.u.arizona.edu/%7Ejjberry/matplotlib.png>
>
> vs. matlab of the same thing:
> http://www.u.arizona.edu/~jjberry/matlab.png<http://www.u.arizona.edu/%7Ejjberry/matlab.png>
>
> Is there any way of changing the space on the 3D axis to look more like the
> matlab figure?
>
> Thanks,
> Jeff Berry

Jeff, thanks for pointing this out.  An inadvertant side-effect of using
add_subplot() for 3d axes seems to be that the creation process greatly
restricts the available space for the 3d figure to be plotted.  Whereas
doing the old Axes3D() approach (albeit for non-subplots) would allow the 3D
figure to use all the available space.

I am currently examining this issue right now and might be tied to another
bug that has been reported recently.

Ben Root