From: ben.r...@ou.edu
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 09:56:27 -0500
Subject: Re: [Matplotlib-users] Import matplotlib.pyplot fails on windows XP
To: ecker...@hotmail.com
CC: matplotlib-users@lists.sourceforge.net

On Sat, Jul 24, 2010 at 4:57 AM, eck naysmith <ecker...@hotmail.com> wrote:

Hello,

I've installed the following Python packages on a Windows XP machine:

Python 2.6.5

Python 2.6 numpy-1.4.1

Python 2.6 matplotlib-0.99.3 [installer - matplotlib-0.99.3.win32-py2.6]

Python and Numpy work correctly. Matplotlib also works and as a test I tried
successfully the following on the python interpretor:

from matplotlib.pyplot import *
plot([1,2,3])
show()

A graph then appears and thus so far so good.

However, when I try to run a certain python script, a problem occurs when
importing from matplotlib:

Traceback (most recent
call last):
  File
"C:\Pythoncode\Games\Bridge_war_2\unitload2.py", line 2, in
<module>
    from matplotlib.pyplot
import plot, ylabel,xlabel, show
  File
"C:\Python26\lib\site-packages\matplotlib\pyplot.py", line
78, in <module>
    new_figure_manager,
draw_if_interactive, show = pylab_setup()
  File
"C:\Python26\lib\site-packages\matplotlib\backends\__init__.py",
line 25, in pylab_setup
    globals(),locals(),[backend_name])
  File
"C:\Python26\lib\site-packages\matplotlib\backends\backend_tkagg.py",
line 7, in <module>
    import Tkinter as Tk,
FileDialog
  File
"C:\Python26\lib\lib-tk\FileDialog.py", line 12, in
<module>
    from Dialog import
Dialog
  File
"C:\Pythoncode\Games\Bridge_war_2\Dialog.py", line 2, in
<module>
    import  wx
ImportError: No module
named wx

The error is that your Windows XP box does not have the wxPython module
installed for Windows.

http://www.wxpython.org/download.php

I hope that helps,

Ben Root

No calls are made anywhere for wxPython so I don't know why it is seeking it.
But when I installed wxPython anyway just to see what would happen, the
traceback then ends at the penultimate line shown above i.e

"File
"C:\Python26\lib\lib-tk\FileDialog.py", line 12, in
<module>
    from Dialog import
Dialog"
On the Traceback, each line beggining with 'File "C:\Python26......." is a
seperate error. The most significant error is the first one:
'Traceback (most recent
call last):
  File
"C:\Pythoncode\Games\Bridge_war_2\unitload2.py", line 2, in
<module>
    from matplotlib.pyplot
import plot, ylabel,xlabel, show'
I suspected the problems were arising from the use of the statement 'from numpy
import foobar' overwriting some of the names used by matplotlib, so I changed
the import statement to 'import numpy' to avoid any potential namespace clash
and adjusted the code accordingly. This does nothing and the exact same
Traceback error messages occur.
Regards

Alex

http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/195013117/direct/01/