Ben and Eric,

Thanks so much for your help!

I'm trying to turn change some of the rcParams in my script... Here is a
test of what happens:

import matplotlib
matplotlib.rcParams['keymap.fullscreen']=''

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<input>", line 1, in <module>
  File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/matplotlib/__init__.py", line 623,
in __setitem__
    See rcParams.keys() for a list of valid parameters.'%key)
KeyError: 'keymap.fullscreen is not a valid rc parameter.See
rcParams.keys() for a list of valid parameters.'

It seems that none of the keymap parameters are defined in my rcParams
dictionary...

I also tried adding some of the "keymap" lines out of the online rc file:
http://matplotlib.sf.net/_static/matplotlibrc
to my rc file and it told me:   Bad key "keymap.pan"

I've got version 0.99.0 on ubuntu.

Is this a new feature?  Do you know what I can try instead??

Thanks!
-David

On 07/26/2010 10:18 AM, Benjamin Root wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 3:09 PM, David Mashburn
> <david.n.mashb...@gmail.com <mailto:david.n.mashb...@gmail.com>
> <mailto:david.n.mashb...@gmail.com <mailto:david.n.mashb...@gmail.com>>>
> wrote:
>
>     Hello!
>
>     My name is David Mashburn, and I have been a very happy user of
>     matplotlib for almost 5 years now, so let me start by saying thank you
>     for this wonderful piece of software!  I has been a blessing to me!
>
>     I am creating a program that performs actions based on key commands in
>     matplotlib, and I keep bumping into conflicts with the interactive
>     keyboard navigation system.  Is there any way to bypass or disable some
>     or all of the keybindings hooked to interactive navigation?
>
>     By the way, I'm using the WxAgg backend if that matters.
>
>     Thanks!
>     -David
>

> David,
>
> I have not tested this myself, but I believe that if you set
> "navigate=False" as a keyword argument for making your axes, this will
> stop the callbacks from being registered.

That completely disables the toolbar, which is likely not what the OP wants.

There are a bunch of rcParams, listed at the bottom of
matplotlibrc_template (and of the default matplotlibrc file that is
installed) that can be used to turn off the key bindings without
disabling the toolbar.

Personally, I think that putting in all those key bindings by default
was a major mistake, one that should be reversed ASAP.  Having the plot
jump to fullscreen when one bumps "f" is rude. The first time it
happened I had no idea what was going on or how to recover from it--I
thought maybe my X-server had gone bonkers. And does one actually save a
displayed figure so often that it is useful to have the "s" shortcut to
save one from having to click the toolbar button?  I could go on with
this complaint...

Eric