On Tue, Nov 2, 2010 at 9:00 AM, John <washa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks Ben!
>
> I guess where I am with this now is that I have found, as you say, the
> VGTYP in the
> operational products (the *sflux* grib files), but I don't find it on
> any of the 0.5 x 0.5 degree files. Which means, that as you say, I'll
> have to figure out how to reproject the data from the Gaussian grid to
> a regular grid with 0.5x0.5 lat lon coordinates.
>
> Any thoughts on that process?? :D
>
> Thanks again,
> john

I haven't tried doing conversions between two different projections, but
maybe the Basemap package might be useful?

http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/basemap/doc/html/

Basically, you could get the arrays of x and y positions of your data, and
then determine what would be the x and y positions of the projection that
you want, and then use scipy's griddata to produce the results on the grid
you want:

http://docs.scipy.org/doc/scipy/reference/generated/scipy.interpolate.griddata.html#scipy.interpolate.griddata

This is a bit brute-force, and I am sure there are more elegant solutions,
but that should work in a pinch.

Ben Root