I'd like to use, in one case, small loaded images (pngs) as markers on an
interactive matplotlib plot (using the OO approach).  I'd potentially like
to be able to point-pick these markers, too, as well as have them update
appropriately if the plot is resized.

The only example I've been to find of this is here:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2318288/how-to-use-custom-marker-with-plot

But that is from 2 years ago.  Is this way of doing it--which the author
describes as a "kludge"--still the state of things, or is there a better
approach now?  (And right now this way isn't working for me...the images
are down the bottom of the figure).

Thank you,
Che