Sudheer,

Although the documentation is not consistent with the following (as of v1.0.1),
the X and Y arguments to contourf can be 1D arrays.  Consider:
>>> from pylab import *
>>> x=range(100)
>>> y=range(20)
>>> xx,yy=meshgrid(x,y)
>>> z=xx**2+yy**2
>>> contourf(x,y,z)
<matplotlib.contour.QuadContourSet instance at 0x114e5fa28>

-Sterling