Dear Bill:

I agree with Barbara's comments below with a caveat.  Museum leadership
should be called upon to make the decision on who manages web site but
they should make the call from a position of educated strength.  My
recommendation is, unless you are simply rolling in money, that the
responsible path for any cultural heritage organization to take in 2008
is to send out an a Request for Information (RFI) as opposed to an
Request for Proposal (RFP) to several developers asking them to comment,
in a brief document, on what they do for your institution, how they
would propose to do it, how you would manage it, and what, in general,
it might cost--you should also include your current favored vendor in
the process.  When all the responses come back in you then weight the
pros and cons, sometimes a favored vendor will come in higher than
others, but a good working relationship might compensate for the
additional cost.  This information is then presented to the museum
leadership, or reviewed in conjunction with museum leadership, depending
on the size of your institution, and a decision is made.

If it comes down to a choice between one or two, then you might want to
go with a full blown RFP, but I've always found RFIs are just as useful
and not as time consuming for all parties. Then...once you've chosen
your vendor the most important thing is to MANAGE EVERYONE'S
EXPECTATIONS.  This means creating a specifications document for the
final project that sets out what you are going to do, what they are
going to do and assure that everyone one understands the parameters of
the project.

Hope this helps,

Holly Witchey
Cleveland Museum of Art