Museum of South Texas History
200 N. Closner Boulevard
Edinburg, TX 78541
bstokes at mosthistory.org
956/383-6911

-----Original Message-----
From: mcn-l-bounces at mcn.edu [mailto:mcn-l-boun...@mcn.edu] On Behalf Of Mike
Ellis
Sent: Tuesday, July 01, 2008 11:24 AM
To: Museum Computer Network Listserv
Subject: Re: [MCN-L] Organizational Question

My suggestion would be to send it out to a range of vendors. Increasing
pressure on an existing vendor will make them work better, cheaper and
with more thought. You'll also get experience of and exposure to other
ideas and approaches during the pitch process. I'd also recommend
getting vendors to come and present rather than just submitting ideas
via email. You get a much better idea of the energy and enthusiasm.

In terms of how to do this and who: depends really on whether you've got
an experienced web team working at the museum. If you do, then they
should have a certain degree of autonomy but work alongside the content
people to make sure that the main goals are content and not technology.

[In terms of organisation: In my 7 years as Head of Web at the Science
Museum in London, I was part of publishing, then marketing and
communications, then new media, and finally an "information
group"....Tbh, it doesn't make any difference where the web team sits as
long as they have enough budget, autonomy and clout to make things
happen.

The subtle (but all important point) in Barbara's email below: museum
leadership should make the decision on **who** manages the website. They
shouldn't (unless you want much, much pain) actually make any decisions
about the day-to-day *management* of the website. That way lies darkness
:-) ]

Cheers

Mike

Mike Ellis