I also saw that article and had some issue with it, too. I'm pretty
pro-CC and free-use in most cases, but as Amalyah said, museums don't
always (or usually) have the option to make everything fair-use. It's
really out of our hands. And so I find it intensely frustrating that a
lot of copyfighters insist on blaming the museum for copyright on
artwork. It undermines public perception of the museum as a
publicly-funded space, with numerous complaints by photographers about
why a public institution doesn't allow the public to photograph within
modern and contemporary art galleries.

Case in point: a couple of years ago I wrote a scathing letter in
response to this blog post by a well-known photography blogger:
http://thomashawk.com/2004/08/editorial-on-camera-policies-in.html He
did respond to me, but was unwilling to accept my argument that SFMOMA
had no copyright control over many of the images in their galleries.
Honestly, I have to wonder if some sort of public education campaign is
in order, as this sort of stuff makes us look bad.

Ok, off my soapbox now...

~Perian