Check this link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_computing_and_IT_abbreviations
I think your goal is to boil this down a little for a museum audience,
laudable but a large task. I agree with Rob that it would be good to be
some kind of shared work space available online.
Anecdotally, one of my favorites in our sector is that museum technology's
CMS is not the same CMS as the rest of the world.
We have Collections Management Systems, everyone else has Content
Management Systems. This always throws my new hires for a loop when they
first arrive.
All the best,
Douglas

--