I've recently deployed a few displays using Rise Vision
https://www.risevision.com/ and have been very happy with it. The platform
is free to use, however you can pay to host media with them if you choose
to for $10/month. They have client software for windows & linux, and also
sell media players on their website if you don't want to spec something
yourself.

I've been running the clients for our displays on Raspberry Pi v3 hardware
which is incredibly economical, however it did require some configuration
to tune for performance and compatibility with our monitors. Video is not
possible with this setup since there is no hardware acceleration through
chromium on the Raspberry Pi which is what their client software uses,
however it has been working great for "slideshow" type displays & static
displays such as our coffee shop menu which don't require anything fancy.

Dustin DuPree
Systems Administrator
Milwaukee Art Museum
700 N Art Museum Dr