Hi Floyd,

We are about to launch (in December) our first cell phone tour of an
exhibition. In researching the options, we decided that creating a
web-based app was the best solution for us. Since the cell phone tour is
for an exhibition on view for a limited time, we did not see how we could
communicate the value of downloading an app to their phones.

Secondly, and perhaps more importantly, a traditional app would not be as
accessible to as many visitors, as many of the 'affordable' options are for
iPhones only. The vendor we selected also has a dial-in feature for
visitors without smartphones. Since our audience has a significant older
population, this was not an insignificant consideration.

Hope this is helpful.

Best,

--
Tamsen Young
Museum Digital Media and Strategic Initiatives Manager

Visit our collections online <http://fashionmuseum.fitnyc.edu/> | Find us on
 Facebook <https://www.facebook.com/TheMuseumAtFIT> |  Twitter
<https://twitter.com/museumatFIT> |  Instagram
<https://instagram.com/museumatfit/> <https://twitter.com/museumatFIT>