Hi Chris

I don't know about getting rights for cropped images, it sounds like hell
on a stick to me, and I'd imagine best to avoid this if you can...

Clicking to get full image, well yes, but I'd have thought the obvious call
to action / click on an exhibition listing page image would be to link
through to whatever the feature was about rather than to view the image?
But a separate link to a lightbox overlay would seem a good idea - example
http://americanmuseum.org/object/the-race/

We're finding a "Masonry" style approach to be pretty useful (specifically
for object images - but may work here too) for displaying listings with
varying aspect ratios on the module images. This enables us to fix a width
but vary height - example here:
http://swcollectionsexplorer.org.uk/browse-collections/. This also works
for non-object stuff - here's an example with infinite scroll:
https://handelhendrix.org.

(FYI, both sites are WordPress - obviously under the hood WP is doing
auto-cropping for each upload, but crops can be amended manually as
required.)

One of several "masonry" libraries is here: http://masonry.desandro.com/

cheers

Mike

Mike Ellis

Thirty8 Digital: a small but perfectly formed digital agency
http://thirty8.co.uk

** NEW: http://wpformuseums.com for people using WordPress in museums **
** Workshops, courses and free downloads: http://trainingdigital.co.uk **