​Re: [MCN-L] Website image cropping​

So we also have dealt with this issue.  We do one of several things
depending on the work, and the people/personalities in play.

1) In gallery shots.  If a work is hanging on a wall and it is the wall
that is cropped to fit, not the work, this makes life a lot easier.  Same
for sculptures outside.

2) If we have to crop something we always include "detail" as part of the
credit line.

https://decordova.org/art/upcoming-exhibitions

In this case the images have to be 580 x 380 and are scaled for the
exhibition listing. In one case I cropped and added detail to the title, in
the other I added extra white background to fit the dimensions. In both
cases the full works are represented at a higher resolution on the
exhibition page itself.  They are also both works in the collection, not on
loan.  With loans we always get the permission for the crop for print
materials and try to pick pieces/artists for the website that are visually
intersting but also the most felexible with usage.  We have the benefit of
having contemporary artists, the majority of whom understand the situation
and give permission.

Designers want precision of layout, while curators etc. want artistic
integrity honored.  We walk the tightrope in between.

Good luck!

Jenn Schmitt

--
*Jennifer Schmitt* | Head of Marketing, Communications, and Digital
Strategy | *deCordova Sculpture Park and Museum* | 51 Sandy Pond Road,