From: mcn-l <mcn-l-boun...@mcn.edu> On Behalf Of Nancy Hoffman
Sent: Friday, August 16, 2019 2:48 PM
To: Museum Computer Network Listserv <mcn-l@mcn.edu>
Subject: Re: [MCN-L] Assistance needed with ULAN data

Hi Samantha -

I have a question related to your answer for Erin. Do you know of a program
other than OpenRefine that can fetch URIs from the Getty's reconciliation
services? I have been using OpenRefine for AAT vocabulary terms in a data
publishing project. My network team took it away because they believe open
source is generally not secure.

Thanks!

-Nancy

Nancy Buck Hoffman

Project Assistant

Archaeology Collections

Kellogg Center

Minnesota Historical Society

Saint Paul, MN  55102

612-725-2371

On Fri, Aug 16, 2019 at 12:40 PM Sami Norling <sami.norl...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Erin,
>
> I would highly recommend using OpenRefine <http://openrefine.org>'s
> reconciliation service to reconcile the museum's data with ULAN entities.
> Once reconciled in OpenRefine, you can then enrich the museum's
> existing data with any of the data points available in ULAN. I am
> going through this process with the Indianapolis Museum of Art data to
> better support our linked data initiatives as well as to ensure that
> our data is as complete as it can be.
>
> As an added step, I would also suggest that when you are done with the
> reconciliation work, you contact the Getty vocabularies team to
> inquire about contributing information about artists not currently in
> ULAN to their data set. My understanding is that they are very
> encouraging of such contributions.
>
> Please consider this e-mail a super basic overview, and feel free to
> contact me directly for more specific information about how to use
> OpenRefine and their reconciliation services for your project. I'm
> more than happy to help!
>
> *Samantha Norling*
>
> Digital Collections Manager
>
> *Newfields Lab* – Technology for Nature & the Arts

> *Newfields*
>
> 4000 Michigan Road
> Indianapolis, IN 46208

> snorl...@discovernewfields.org
>
> On Fri, Aug 16, 2019 at 10:20 AM Erin Richardson <
> e...@erinrichardsonconsulting.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi wise MCN-L members!
> >
> > I am working with a museum to clean up their data. I don't have a
> > lot of backend data experience. My task is to populate artist
> > records with ULAN data. They're using EmbARK. I'd like to upload the
> > relevant metadata
> using
> > the ULAN ID as a link. I'm having difficulty accessing the ULAN data
> > from getty's download center.
> > https://www.getty.edu/research/tools/vocabularies/obtain/download.ht
> > ml
> >
> > Note: I know next to nothing about data that is not in CSV format.
> > I've tried to convert the sample ULAN XML data to CSV but am getting
> > lots of errors.
> >
> > I don't even really understand the reasonable-ness of this question,
> > so please bear with me!
> >
> > Thanks for any help you're able to offer!
> >
> > Erin
> >
> > _____________
> >
> > Erin Richardson, PhD, Principal
> >
> > Erin Richardson Consulting
> > <https://www.erinrichardsonconsulting.com/>
> >
> > 518.577.0186
> >
> > LinkedIn <https://www.linkedin.com/in/erinerichardson/>
> >
> > The MCN-L archives can be found at:
> > http://www.mail-archive.com/mcn-l@mcn.edu/

> http://www.mail-archive.com/mcn-l@mcn.edu/

ON NOW
Treasures of a Desert Kingdom: The Royal Arts of Jodhpur,
India<https://www.rom.on.ca/en/exhibitions-galleries/exhibitions/rajasthan>
In the Age of Rembrandt: Dutch Paintings from the Museum of Fine Arts,
Boston<https://www.rom.on.ca/en/exhibitions-galleries/exhibitions/in-the-age-of-rembrandt-dutch-paintings-from-the-museum-of-fine>
It's Alive! Classic Horror and Sci-Fi Art from the Kirk Hammett
Collection<https://www.rom.on.ca/en/exhibitions-galleries/exhibitions/its-alive-classic-horror-and-sci-fi-art-from-the-kirk-hammett-0>
Gods in My Home: Chinese New Year with Ancestor Portraits and Deity
Prints<https://www.rom.on.ca/en/exhibitions-galleries/exhibitions/gods-in-my-home-chinese-new-year-with-ancestor-portraits-and-deity>

COMING SOON
November 16, 2019 | Bloodsuckers: Legends to
Leeches<https://www.rom.on.ca/en/exhibitions-galleries/exhibitions/bloodsuckers-legends-to-leeches>
March 7, 2020 | Egyptian Mummies: Exploring Ancient
Lives<https://www.rom.on.ca/en/exhibitions-galleries/exhibitions/egyptian-mummies-exploring-ancient-lives>

________________________________

À L’AFFICHE
Trésors d’un royaume du désert : les arts de la cour de Jodhpur, en
Inde<https://www.rom.on.ca/fr/expositions-et-galeries/expositions/tresors-dun-royaume-du-desert-les-arts-de-la-cour-de-jodhpur-0>
Au temps de Rembrandt : Les peintures hollandaises du Musée des beaux-arts de
Boston<https://www.rom.on.ca/fr/expositions-et-galeries/expositions/au-temps-de-rembrandt-les-peintures-hollandaises-du-musee-des>
Sauve qui peut! L’art des grands films d’horreur et de science-fiction de la
collection de Kirk
Hammett<https://www.rom.on.ca/fr/expositions-et-galeries/expositions/sauve-qui-peut-lart-des-grands-films-dhorreur-et-de-science>
Accueillir les divinités : Portraits d'ancêtres et estampes de dieux pour le
nouvel an
chinois<https://www.rom.on.ca/fr/expositions-et-galeries/expositions/accueillir-les-divinites-portraits-dancetres-et-estampes-de>

À VENIR
Le 16 novembre 2019 | Soif de
sang<https://www.rom.on.ca/fr/expositions-et-galeries/expositions/soif-de-sang>
Le 7 mars 2020 | Les momies égyptiennes : À la rencontre des
Anciens<https://www.rom.on.ca/fr/expositions-et-galeries/expositions/les-momies-egyptiennes-a-la-rencontre-des-anciens>