Howdy,
I'm finally ready to change my t'stat - have a new 80C t'stat kit from Rusty, coolant from MB and a new fan shroud to replace mine that's broken on 1 side. All simple jobs. But I have a couple questions since I'm still unfamiliar with the '91 300D 2.5T.

I need to remove the lower shield - where do I put the jack? Do I use jack stands or should I use ramps? I should've looked around under the engine to see what's what but I'm disabled and once I get down there I tend to stay down there for a little while. ;-)

Is there any good way to catch the coolant as it flows out? Should I remove the lower hose (must come off to allow the shroud to be replaced) and let it flow from there? Would it be better to open the t'stat and let it flow from there? Is there any way to pump it out? I have a hand pump with a couple of feet of hose -

   I'd like to catch most of it so it doesn't get all over the driveway -

   Do I need any sealant on the t'stat o-ring?

The manual says to install the t'stat so it fits in the notch in the cover - is that going to be with the vent/jiggle valve up? The books pictures aren't very clear. I suspect it'll be obvious once I get it apart -- Not sure if the fan must come off to replace the shroud - I've taken fans off W123/240D - is it the same procedure? Wiggling my hands around in front of the fan to remove the bolts - was never much fun - but there's probably no way around it. 10mm or 13mm bolts?

Sorry about all the piddling questions - but I like to plan out things in advance - .

TIA -

Sincerely,
Larry T ('74 911, '67 MGB, 91 300D Turbo)
A Blood Test for your oil - www.youroil.net
For Test Results http://members.rennlist.com/oil
Weber Carb Stuff http://members.rennlist.com/webercarbs
http://members.rennlist.com/my_911/Index.htm For my Paint Job Info