> you an email containing another url that you can click on from
> inside your e-mail system which will process the user's membership.

Click? On e-mail? Note - not everybody is reading e-mail from their home PC
using Netscrape or Internet Exploder. I use ELM - many others use PINE -
neither of them is graphical, nor tied to the Mickeysoft OLE way of things...

If you do e-mail confirmation, the best (and easiest) way is to send the user
a message with a unique code, and then have the user reply to it. Possibly
with added information to make the transaction even more secure.