So basically, you are on some sort of drugs or something?

I hate to jump to my brother's defence here, but I think that the point was
to prove 100% that M37 was really M37 and not M38 or M39 or whatever, thus
being able to get rid of the '?' on the GIMPs page. :)

I think that in the spirit of a "team" effort, assigning an LL test to a 486
is the stupidest and most incosiderate thing a person could do. As far as
the GIMPS effort goes, if your LL test is going to take a year, then perhaps
you should do a factoring or double check assignment.

As far as other efforts go, sure, we could form our own GIMPs like project
and have competing projects, but I don't think thats a good idea. For
example, when I was coding for distributed.net (RC5/DES), and were going for
the DES-II stuff, and the EFF built their super-duper DES cracking machine,
it seemed kinda unfair that they got the exponent before we did.

Then for DES-III, they figured out a way to have their machine coordinate
with the dist.net servers. So the whole effort was organized, and the whole
range of keys went by much faster.

Now, lets say for example, that the EFF decides they want to build a
"Mersenne finding machine", which has 56,000 processors all doing LL tests,
and they go right on past your exponent you have had checked out for over a
year... would you feel slighted by the EFF? Give me a break folks, you are
being way too anal about your assignments.

I think it is quite clear to me that George and Scott missed a lot of
exponents that slipped thru the cracks and my bro just decided to point that
out in his own weird way.

I might also add that when I saw my UltraEnterprise 4000 was doing something
like .9s/iter, I thought, "Hmmm... thats no good". So I recompiled using
Suns C compiler and increased my performance to a respectable .5s/iter so, I
suggest that for the "Good of the team", it would be better to use the right
tool for the right job... Or should I go out and write my LL tester for my
HP calculator?

Another note: You may have noticed that I worked on a Java LL tester in the
past, and I decided not to release it until it had respectable speeds for
this exact reason. Having > 1s/iter wasn't good enough for me. Sorry if you
don't like that.

Lastly, what is the deal with reporting my bro to the FBI for "stealing"?
What, he stole your assignment? You know, there is a law against making
false charges against someone.

Best regards,
Jeremy

P.S. This whole argument is stupid, so why not just drop it. You can't
really stop anyone from poaching, so are gonna go cry to George and Scott
and say "Aaron stole my exponent which I've been working on for 3 yrs". I
would say, "Do some factoring next time stupid!" But, really, I could care
less if George and Scott decided to take team madpoo off the list for
poaching or whatever (We're almost to 33). The whole idea is to go forward
in the name of science, not "I want to reserve these 100 exponents cuz their
small and I might find M37 and get my name in the history books". As a
matter of fact, if Aaron finds a prime in his poached exponents, I'm sure
he'll be glad to share credit with whoever had it checked out or whatever.
Or for that matter, he would probably just give that person the full credit
and not want any credit at all really. So if its your "Place in history" you
are worried about, I don't really care.