Hi all,

        1)  The problem is solved for all v16 and later clients.  In other
words it is 99% solved.  Even if you check out a first time LL test on a
P-75 the existing system will not time you out as long as you are running
the program regularly.  The Primenet status reports will show the world
that you are indeed working diligently on your exponent.
        2)  The only good idea to come out of this thread is to
allow users to send an I'm-still-working message in the manual web forms,
along with a more generous initial timeout of 120 days.  It is up
to Scott to decide if he is willing to spend the time to implement this.
        3)  Other ideas for reassigning exponents that were assigned to
v15 clients or by email included setting a firm policy, sending emails,
waiting for responses, etc. etc.  While a good idea it is more time-consuming
for me.
        4)  M#37 was a recycled assignment.  BTW, there are 9000 double-checks
required before the ? is removed from M#37.
        5)  One of GIMPS greatest features is the lack of rigid rules.  However,
as this thread points out, this feature has a downside too.

        Since my time is limited and I've been entrusted by default with
inventing GIMPS' official poaching rules, here it is:
        1)  Do not poach exponents.
        2)  I will apply the existing ad hoc policy for reassigning stale v15
exponents and email-reserved exponents.  They will be recycled on an
infrequent basis when I find the time.  The server will then hand them out
to random
lucky users.  I'm more aggresive with smaller exponents than larger exponents
so that we will march steadily onwards.  I'm more aggresive with people I
don't know.  If you reserved a range by email and report results every 5
months then you are safe.

Have a nice day,
George