On 14 Nov 2001, at 21:27, Nathan Russell wrote:

> For better or for worse (I think for better - it should attract a few
> searchers) the new Mersenne report has made it to the popular
> technical/open-source/geek news site Slashdot.

Indeed. Downloads of Mersenne-related software from my anon ftp
server are currently running at least 10x higher than normal. (So
are attempts to misuse the server - it has been explicitly configured
to reject "port bouncing" to a third party address - I'm not operating
an anonymising service!)

> [ ... snip ...]
> -"The Primenet list has confirmed that while they still need to
> totally test it out (which should be done by the 24th), they believe
> that the number found today is the 39th positive." (To my knowledge,
> only George has directly stated that he views the result to be
> correct.  While I don't question his word, even if he is correct, the
> odds are in favor - but not *grossly* in favor - of the new prime
> being the 39th Mersenne - NOT the 39th prime, which is similiar to an
> error made in one of Cray's press releases IIRC)

The chance of a false zero residual after precisely (n-2) iterations
due to hardware glitches or "random" software errors are surely
only 1 in (2^n-1). If a zero residual is _genuinely computed_ then
surely the chances are very, very, very high that a Mersenne prime
has been discovered.

Conversely, and assuming that the probability of any single LL test
being affected by a hardware glitch or data-value-independent
software error is 0.01 (which is probably a low estimate), the
probablity of two runs both going wrong independently and yet
returning the same _64 bit_ residual is 1 in 10000 * 2^64. This is
the approximate probability that a Mersenne prime will be missed
_despite_ the double-checking procedure; it is of course very
small, but is absolutely COLOSSAL compared with the probability
of a false discovery _without_ verification.

Verification is still, of course, neccessary in order to eliminate the
possibility of a systematic error (in program or hardware); also, and
probably most importantly, to eliminate absolutely the chance of a
"forged" discovery.

BTW there are a large number of small exponents (almost all under
1 million) for which there aren't even two matching 64 bit residuals -
early programs often reported residuals to 16 bits, in some cases
even less. For this reason I'm selectively triple checking these
cases, using old systems which are too slow and/or too memory
limited to be useful for anything else. I most certainly do _not_
expect to find any missed primes! If anyone wishes to assist in the
task of cleaning up this anomaly in the database, please contact
me privately.

As to the chance of the newly discovered unverified number being
_numerically_ the 39th Mersenne prime (as opposed to the order of
discovery), surely the announcement that it is "probably" M39 has
to wait until all smaller exponents have been LL tested once, and
not confirmed until double-checking passes that exponent.