On 30.11.2017 19:52, Rob Clark wrote:
On Thu, Nov 30, 2017 at 4:21 AM, Nicolai Hähnle <nhaeh...@gmail.com> wrote:
On 30.11.2017 01:09, Miguel Angel Vico wrote:

It seems to me that $new_thing should grow as a separate thing whether
it ends up replacing GBM or GBM internals are somewhat rewritten on top
of it. If I'm reading you both correctly, you agree with that, so in
order to move forward, should we go ahead and create a project in fd.o?

Before filing the new project request though, we should find an
appropriate name for $new_thing. Creativity isn't one of my strengths,
but I'll go ahead and start the bikeshedding with "Generic Device
Memory Allocator" or "Generic Device Memory Manager".

liballoc - Generic Device Memory Allocator ... seems reasonable to me..

Cool. If there aren't better suggestions, we can go with that. We
should also namespace all APIs and structures. Is 'galloc' distinctive
enough to be used as namespace? Being an 'r' away from gralloc maybe
it's a bit confusing?

libgalloc with a galloc prefix seems fine.

I keep reading "galloc" as "gralloc".. I suspect that will be
confusing.  Maybe libgal/gal_.. or just liballoc/al_?

True, but liballoc is *very* generic.

libimagealloc?
libsurfacealloc?
contractions thereof?

Cheers,
Nicolai

BR,
-R

--
Lerne, wie die Welt wirklich ist,
Aber vergiss niemals, wie sie sein sollte.